Well it's been 3 years since I made this ironing board cover and posted it as my very first tutorial so I am long over-due for a change. As you can see it's received a lot of use and while I have washed it occasionally (because I remembered to pre-wash my fabric before sewing this time!) I'm just bored with it. I've been painting and sprucing my sewing room so this was another project that needed tackling.
Here's my old worn cover (which has held up great in spite of the stains)...
And here's my new, fresh, happy cover! I really like it and the colors go nicely with everything else in the room. Yay! It's home dec weight which I prefer for my ironing board covers even though it limits my selection of designs. I got this fabric for 1.00 a yard many years ago (and I have more if it so I'm sure it will pop up somewhere else soon!).
I used a fun contrast for the casing even though I'll never see it unless I drop something under my ironing board and happen to look up (just in time to see the iron falling on my face with my luck). I think those little surprise details really make a project special though.
And here's my favorite new detail! A covered magnet to hold all of my pins while I'm working on a project! I'm always wishing I'd brought a pin cushion to my ironing board when I'm in the middle of pressing something and then I'm never sure what to do with the pins as I remove them. Problem solved! And it's removable because I sewed velcro onto the ironing board cover and the little fabric square over the magnet.